dawn cosgrove blog header photo home_zpsa2c6842b.png photo farm_zpsf53f47dc.png photo kitchen_zps21411204.png photo garden_zps917b659d.png photo shop_zps93157ca3.png

in the dahlia patch..

as many of you may recall, back in October my little family made a road trip down to Washington for me to attend a Wildflowers Workshop with none other than *the* Joy Prouty. Her talents have blown me away for years now and it was a complete honour to sit in her living room with a dozen other women, all who inspired me in so many ways. I haven't written anything about those days I spent there, and I don't know if its because I just don't really have the words to describe my experience or if its because what happened there was so incredible that I just want to keep it as an experience all for myself..

What I *do* know, however, is that those women I met on October 1, 2014..I will carry with me for the rest of my life. Women, Moms, Photographers, Entrepreneurs...I sat next to them and listened to their stories and their heartbreaks as well as their victories.. and they listened to mine. and for the first time in a long time, I believed in the beauty of people again.
I spent 2 whole days away from my duties as a wife and a mother and just focused on what I love..photography. It was eye opening, heart wrenching and just plain good for the soul. The beauty that surrounds Joy's homestead was like a wave of inspiration, everywhere you looked was a spot begging to be snuggled with or even photographed..it made me think so much about our own farm and what I want to have it become. But more importantly..it made me question myself and my art. What I wanted to do with this gift and how I wanted to tell my stories and those who come before my lens...seriously powerful stuff came out of it.

those questions and those conversations and experiences are sitting with me, stirring up something beautiful in my heart and I plan to carry it with me into the new year and see where it grows. But for now, I will take you to the magical dahlia patch that Joy took us to. It was her secret location and we picked dahlias, took photos, laughed, hugged and said our goodbyes. We wiped tears away as we said we'd keep in touch (and we have!) and I honestly cannot wait to see these women again soon and give them a big hug..

So here is a small peek, from Washington with love..


many of the homesteads in Washington had stands outside their homes, offering produce and flowers with honour systems..pick what you want and they trust you to pay for it. Such a beautiful thing in these times and I wish I saw this here in our neck of the woods..


{note to self: grow more DAHLIAS in 2015!!}


I want to do something with all of these photos, just not sure what yet! Photobook? Wall hanging? Gosh the location was just so beautiful and these ladies..ah, make my day



and of course the icing to this already fabulous cake was meeting Joy. Her words, her thoughts..she is a true artist and she believed in every single one of us. She spoke some hard truths that cut right into the thick of it and I left feeling that, somehow, things were just at they were meant to be and that to see that, to *know* that..is both calming and so very beautiful. It has changed my view thru my lens and the gratefulness I feel for that could never be explained..


and to finish off my daydream of a day..my boys came to pick me up and take me home. But not before I let my little love sit amongst the flowers and take it all in..


"perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created."
- Esther 4.14   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!! I appreciate hearing from you, have a great day!

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips