The roads are still icy as ever from yesterday's freezing rainfall, but I'm hoping to make it to Calgary if the sun shines. On The Weather Network this morning they showed videos of children on ice skates skating on the roads!! I couldn't believe it! Fingers crossed we can:
A) Make the journey today; and
B) Make it safely
Now, why do we have to go to Calgary? Well, back in September we were hit with some major news that affected my family and today is the day that, that news back then becomes a reality. Yes, I know it sounds like I'm speaking in code but here's the history for you.
Four years ago, after a normal check up with his doctor, my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. We were shocked/terrified and determined to beat it. And, after months of chemo/radiation and a major surgery..my dad was cancer free. And after 4 years of regular blood tests, and physicals, the doctors found more cancer cells when his gall bladder needed to be taken out this past September. We were shocked to say the least. My dad has passed all tests/exams with flying colours, there was no hint of cancer at all.
So now we've spent the fall waiting for a surgery date and we found out in October that today, December 3rd, is the day. My dad went in to the OR at 7:45 this morning and is booked in til 4:45 this afternoon. Its a major, major surgery. They are going thru his entire body to find any/all cancer cells and removing them. After he recovers today he will be moved to the ICU for one on one care and could be in the hospital for a few weeks.
So far thats all I can say for now. I need to get to Calgary to be with my mom and care for her while she waits to hear about my dad. I'll do weekly updates on the blog to let you know how my daddio is doing. Until then, your thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated!!