dawn cosgrove blog header photo home_zpsa2c6842b.png photo farm_zpsf53f47dc.png photo kitchen_zps21411204.png photo garden_zps917b659d.png photo shop_zps93157ca3.png

Mommas Rhubarb Cake

Its here! Its here! Rhubarb season is FINALLY here! Now, some people love rhubarb and some people hate it. There is no in between. Its tart and full of flavour and tastes amazing when mixed in with brown sugar. I, of course, am on the team that loves rhubarb. I crave it and miss it when its done producing in early Summer. But for these few glorious weeks of Spring..I now have unlimited amounts of rhubarb in my very own garden. I have missed having access to these plants since moving to the farm (my mother in law had these plants but I didn't have any) But today, I went out and harvested my first batch to make my moms amazing rhubarb cake


Can I just state how exciting it is to be back into the "eat what you grow" season? I harvested these rhubarb stalks this morning, brought them inside and chopped them up, washed them then bagged them and placed them in the fridge for a couple of hours while I finished yard work. Then, once Hudson was down for his nap, I got to work baking the most delicious cake made from homegrown rhubarb and a freshly picked egg from my coop this morning!



Rhubarb Cake

1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
2 Cups Flour
1 Egg
1 1/2 Cups Chopped Rhubarb
1/2 Cup Shortening ( I used baking margarine)
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tsp Soda dissolved in 1 Cup Sour Milk (I used 3/4 Cups of Milk with 1/4 Cup Vinegar)

Mix together the above ingredients. Put mixture into a 9x13 pan. This goes on top of cake before baking:

1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Margarine

Mix together and sprinkle over batter. Bake 35 mins at 350


The result?


Its delicious. You should make it...like, now! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!! I appreciate hearing from you, have a great day!

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips