dawn cosgrove blog header photo home_zpsa2c6842b.png photo farm_zpsf53f47dc.png photo kitchen_zps21411204.png photo garden_zps917b659d.png photo shop_zps93157ca3.png

Fresh from the Farmhouse Kitchen - Baked Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts


When I came across this recipe the other day, I knew I had to try it! I had bought a couple of donut pans from Amazon a few months ago and was eager to try them out and, let me tell you, this recipe did not disappoint! I'm a huge fan of donuts in general but, baked donuts? Even better! They make me feel like I'm eating a healthier snack...well, as healthy as a glazed donut can be I guess! 

The best thing is you can whip up this recipe first thing in the morning and enjoy them with your morning cup of coffee before even getting your day started. I loved the fresh, tangy zip of these in the dead of Winter as well, made me feel like Spring really was just around the corner. So lets dig in and make ourselves a batch, shall we?

Makes 6 donuts

Ingredients

for the batter

1 Cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 Cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/2 Cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
zest from 1 lemon

for the glaze

1/8 Cup lemon juice
1 Cup powdered sugar

To Make

Preheat your oven to 350F

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and poppy seeds.


In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract, egg and lemon zest.


Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir til well combined.




Grease your donut pan and fill each mold, dividing the batter evenly



Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and let donuts cool completely.


While waiting for these beauties to cool, make your glaze by whisking together your lemon juice and icing sugar. I squeezed my lemon juice by hand for a super fresh taste but bottled juice works just as well!


Place a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet to catch all the drippings from the glaze then, one by one, dip each donut into the glaze and set aside to harden. I had enough glaze mix to double dip each donut which, really...makes them that much better wouldn't you agree?


 At this point, sit back and marvel at the fact that you just made donuts for breakfast (or lunch or dinner or even a snack!) Pat yourself on the back because these, my friends, are delicious! My first bite was full of a tangy, sweet flavour and I inhaled mine. Thankfully Hudson started crying to eat so my donut count stopped at just one (whew!)



Trust me, bake these and get a taste of Spring in your home today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!! I appreciate hearing from you, have a great day!

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips