dawn cosgrove blog header photo home_zpsa2c6842b.png photo farm_zpsf53f47dc.png photo kitchen_zps21411204.png photo garden_zps917b659d.png photo shop_zps93157ca3.png

My girls

Well, its Day 11 and I am happy to report all fifteen of my babies are doing very well. They are growing and changing everyday, eating like crazy and trying to fly out of their brooder at a rapid rate. I had no idea my chicks would grow up this fast!  They began sporting tail feathers 3 days ago and this morning, when I checked on them, they are growing feathers around the back of their necks! Pretty soon they won'r be chicks anymore and while that saddens me a little, I'm very happy they are all happy & doing well. With that being said though, I do have a Barred Rock with a swollen crop that was noticed yesterday. She has a huge bulge in the front of her neck to the right side. When I felt it, it was squishy and felt like a water balloon. Immediately I panicked and contacted the breeder who informed me that it was 'sour crop' and to give her a mixture of 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar to 1 gallon of water, which I did immediately. I was an emotional mess yesterday over the thought that I could lose a chick but, thankfully so far, she is alert, awake, eating, drinking and pooping {sorry} and those are all very good signs. Hopefully the apple cider vinegar water does the trick and my babe can return to normal..I will let you know how she does over the weekend though. With that being said, who wants to see some cute baby chicks? Here is my flock at 1.5 weeks old..
















Yes - I am quite the proud owner of these babies..my husband says he wishes they could realize how lucky they are to be at our farm ;) Now - the baby with sour crop is below:

Notice the bulge in front of her neck?

Please cross your fingers that her crop starts working and gets the food processed and away. I'm hoping to see the swelling reduce as time goes on - I'll let you know. Other than that, have a GREAT weekend everyone! I'll be back next week with evening posts for A Week in the Life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!! I appreciate hearing from you, have a great day!

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips