dawn cosgrove blog header photo home_zpsa2c6842b.png photo farm_zpsf53f47dc.png photo kitchen_zps21411204.png photo garden_zps917b659d.png photo shop_zps93157ca3.png

This Week: What I Want to Remember

Hi friends!
 So sorry I haven't been around this week, it seems like everytime I leave the farm for a few days, I always need a few days to settle back in to my regular routine {who am I kidding? I'm a farmers wife now, there is no such thing as a regular routine! Every day is different!} We have had a busy week around here and there are a lot of things I'd like to remember about it (so glad I'm keeping up with this post!!)


This week was full of snow, construction, exciting ideas and transitions and even Christmas lights (yes, you read that right! Christmas..). It was a full week to be sure!


and with that, here is what I want to remember about this past week!!

- I want to remember waking up Tuesday morning, opening my eyes and watching out the window as the first, magical snowfall arrived and coated the ground with a beautiful frosting of soft, frothy, glitter


- I want to remember walking out to my chickens, snow crunching underfoot and loving how peaceful it always seems to be whenever it snows
- I want to remember opening the coop door to let my chickens out and, upon seeing the snow and unsure of what to make of it, they plugged up the opening with their bodies, side by side, looking at the white ground and wondering what to do! It was hilarious!
-I want to remember waiting by the phone, waiting to hear from my mom about how dad's drs appt was..I hate being away from my family at times like that
-I want to remember asking Adam to start practicing his Christmas carols on the guitar..my extended family has our Christmas party on Dec 1st and we always sing carols..but guitar music would be nice to help drown out some of our "noise"..lol. Adam plays guitar beautifully but has never really played carols..and I think its time that changed ;)
-I want to remember construction has officially taken off, the second floor was finished this week and we spent many hours walking the floor, envisioning the rooms, marking walls and closet spaces and getting ridiculously excited at seeing more work being completed!
- I want to remember that because the snow fell on Tuesday, it made me excited for Christmas, which then of course made me excited for decorating for Christmas. And, because its still too early for even me to start decorating, I decided to work on our exterior lights! For the past few years we have hung red/white lights and I decided to add green to the mix this year. So there I sat, lights sprawled out in front of me, changing every bulb, testing the old ones and cleaning up any broken glass along the way..I was in...my...bliss, people!
-I want to remember taking the boys for a walk while the snow was blowing and laughing at the fact that, a week prior I was sweating my butt off and now, one week later? This:


-I want to remember convincing Adam to watch Elf for the first time this season {I am obsessed with Christmas guys, I really am} I mean, I'm patting myself on the back because its the end of October and I'm just now starting to watch my holiday movies..the past me would have started watching them in August!
-I want to remember going to the coop the other morning and hearing an odd sounding crow, one I hadn't heard before {every rooster has their own distinct crow} so I peered thru the window and was shocked..my Eleanor, my baby, the little chick that would hop up on my palm when I was near..was in fact not a hen but a rooster! He waited almost 7 whole months before revealing his true self to me and I was pretty disappointed!!


-Speaking of said roosters..I've made a decision on them {remember my previous post?} well, yesterday while Adam & I were down at the coop, we started noticing some of the hens were going bald and losing a lot of feathers on their back. And then we witnessed one poor hen being taken down repeatedly by not 1 but 4 roosters and in that moment, the decision was easy. The roosters have to go. I'm disappointed and sad but my hens deserve better and they do us no good as pets if they are stressed out 24/7. We have decided to get rid of 4 of my 5 roosters {I'm keeping Roo, my black rooster} and getting rid of the rest. My decision to keep one {I don't need him for eggs} is based purely on the fact that he is a big, strong but gentle rooster that can protect my hens and make them feel safe while not stressing them out anymore. He will have free reign over his girls but I know he'll take care of them. As for theother roosters? Well we are going to ask our friend who has chickens of his own if he is interested in taking them {I know they will make dinner out of them eventually} or Adam has offered to take them away for me, no questions asked. All I ask is that I don't see it & I don't know what happened. Its easier for me that way. *sigh*, the life of a chicken owner ;)
-I want to remember working on the house all morning yesterday with Adam and my inlaws and then taking the late afternoon off to sit in our pjs and watch a movie while the snow fell outside our window, trust me, that hasn't happened in a long time!

Whew! I'm tired just thinking of this past week! So fun and so many things happening, love it! Today, Adam and I heading down to Havre, MT for the day to do some fun/Christmas shopping..I'm so looking forward to it!! Have a great Sunday everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how different our lives are. I feel so honored to read about the things that matter to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dawn,
    WOW, it sure is awesome to read all these REMEMBER posts!! I LOVE LOVE that you are doing this. How fun that you got your first snow, I love the first magical snow!! I'm sorry to hear about Elenor, she was a favorite of yours. Sorry to hear about the roosters being too mean also, laughed and teared up on your decision to give them away, sending you a hug for that. I know it must be tough for you. Hooray for 8 eggs a day, how awesome is that. My hubby can't wait for us to have chickens. I'm loving the story of you two getting engaged and this special trip you planned for him. That was so sweet of you and YOU DID GREAT KEEPING IT A SECRET!! I LOVE THAT PART!!

    I hope your excitment for Christmas carries on to me, this is my hardest and not always best holiday. I'm all about Thanksgiving. Christmas is about making everything perfect and worrying about EVERYTHING.... esp. with the kids being older there isn't as much fun in the shopping now. I do love the decorating and tree lights, cards, music though. We love the Elf movie too, our other must watch is HOME ALONE the first one, we LOVE it. How nice your light will look this year, good for you getting them ready on your own. We alternate the colors each year, I like blue/white and the rest like Multi colored ones, sometimes my hubby mixes them and I can't stand it. We also take turns what goes on the tree.. My girls and I like an angel and the boys like the star.

    Keep up these posts I love reading them!!

    Thanks so much for your comment today, so happy to see you there. Thanks also for all the support you give me on my PL, it's way easier for me to do mine so be kind to yourself please. You are a busy farmer and that is soooo more important.
    You should try the digital PL for next year, you can work on it all year before printing it out. That way no issues on devloping your photos and faster too.

    I'm glad you enjoyed reading about my crushing on Rich, it was amazing how it suddenly just happend. I was seriously dizzy and heart pounding being around him. Your story is so romantic and sweet too, sending you best wishes for many happy, loving, fun, amazing years married to your man. We are both lucky to have amazing hubby's.

    Take care and Happy Halloween! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!! I appreciate hearing from you, have a great day!

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips